This workshop will bring together leaders in agroecology research and practice from Cuba, Mexico, Honduras and Costa Rica, as well as Ontario. It will be an opportunity to share stories of innovation, learn some practical skills, and build relationships across boundaries and cultures. The workshop will celebrate diversity, and its goal is to help build the capacity of everyone involved to engage in agroecology as a means of increasing the resilience of our agroecosystems and communities. It is being organized by the Wilfrid Laurier University Centre for Sustainable Food Systems through its FLEdGE (Food: Locally Embedded, Globally Engaged) project.
DAY 1: Monday, August 15 – Sharing Stories of Agroecological Innovation
Time: 8am – 5pm
Location: Room 142, Balsillie School of International Affairs, 67 Erb St. W., Waterloo, ON
Presenters on Day 1 will include:
- Dr. Angel Leyva Galán of Cuba’s National Institute for Agricultural Sciences (Department of Sustainable Agroecosystem Management)
- Marvin Gómez of Honduras’ Foundation for Participatory Research with Honduran Farmers
- Laura Gómez Tovar of Mexico’s University of Chapingo (Agroecology Department)
- Gabriela Soto of the Costa Rican branch of the Sustainable Assessment Committee
- Sarah Hargreaves of the Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario
There will also be time for group discussion.
DAY 2: Tuesday, August 16 – Learning in the Field
Time: 8am – 5pm
Location: Everdale Organic Farm and Environmental Learning Centre, 5812 6 Line, Hillsburgh, ON
In addition to a farm tour, activities will include field-based learning on the following topics:
- Participatory Agroecosystem/Biodiversity Evaluation
- Participatory Organic Certification
- Participatory Plant Breeding and Seeds
DAY 3: Wednesday, August 17: Farm Tours
Time: 8am – 7pm
Locations: Fertile Ground CSA, 1560 Carmel-Koch Rd., St. Agatha, ON (MORNING) andZócalo Organics, 5881 3 Line, Hillsburgh, ON (AFTERNOON)
Day 3 will include:
- A farm tour of Fertile Ground CSA and discussion of the EFAO’s Farmer-Led Research Program
- A farm tour of Zócalo Organics
- A planning session for future collaboration
- A group dinner
NOTE: Participants may register for any one, two or all 3 days of the workshop.
Please contact the workshop organizers if you have any dietary restrictions.
WHERE: Waterloo and surrounding area – Waterloo and surrounding area, Ontario